How to Make Tiramisu?
Tiramisu is a classic Italian dessert that does not require baking. The word Tiramisu translates into "cheer me up." This iconic treat consists of two main layers: coffee-soaked ladyfingers (sweet sponge cake biscuits) and mascarpone cream. Read on to understand how to make Tiramisu and mascarpone cream, the ingredients etc.
What Is Mascarpone Cream?
Mascarpone is the Italian version of cream cheese. It is made using whipped cream and stabilized using citric acid. Mascarpone cheese has a milder flavor and smoother consistency. If you don't have mascarpone cream, you can easily make it or even substitute it with cream cheese.
For The Cream
- 4 Large Egg Yolks
- 100gm Granulated Sugar
- ¾ Heavy Cream
- 8 Ounces Mascarpone
- 1 ¾ Espresso
- 2 tbsp Rum
- 200g Ladyfingers
- 2 Ounces Bittersweet Chocolate (optional)
- Whip egg yolks and 50 gm sugar together until tripled in volume
- Add whip cream and 50 gm sugar in a different bowl until soft peaks are formed. Add mascarpone to this mixture and continue to whip
- Fold the mascarpone mixture into the egg yolk mixture until well combined
- Dust the bottom of a baking dish using a sifter with cocoa powder
- Dip the ladyfingers into espresso (concentrated coffee), and line them up carefully in the baking dish. Top this with the mascarpone mixture
- Repeat this process until you make multiple layers, and top with cocoa powder and grated chocolate
- Refrigerate this for at least 4 hrs, and your tiramisu is ready to serve!
How To Freeze Tiramisu?
Tiramisu is an ideal dessert to eat as a leftover as it can be frozen for several weeks and still maintain its quality. Here are three quick tips for freezing tiramisu-
- Remove excess chocolate or cocoa powder from the top
- Wrap the tiramisu as tight as possible using plastic wrap. This maintains the moisture and retains the original texture.
- Cover the dish in aluminum foil before freezing it.
Tiramisu is a great no-bake and fancy dessert that will impress your guests! During preparation, make sure to use a good quality whipping cream. You can opt for a non-dairy whipping cream as well.
Want to learn more about Tiramisu? Also read What is Tiramisu for more information.