An Easy Homemade Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
Who doesn’t love the sweet and tart combination of a lemon meringue pie? It’s a classic dessert that has been around for generations, and it’s still as popular as ever. But if you haven’t made a lemon meringue pie before, don’t worry—it doesn’t have to be difficult. Here’s an easy recipe that anyone can follow to make an amazing homemade lemon meringue pie.
Also, read How To Make The Perfect Creamy Pie
Ingredients for the filling:
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ cups water
- 2 tbsp butter or margarine
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp grated lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
Ingredients for the meringue:
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
Ingredient for the crust:
- Vanilla Premix
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually add water and stir until fully combined. Add the butter or margarine and bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat while stirring constantly. Boil for one minute, then reduce heat to low and cook for an additional two minutes while stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and slowly add about half of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks while stirring rapidly; this will temper them so they don't scramble when added directly to the hot mixture.
- Pour back the remaining hot mixture into the saucepan and return the pan to the stovetop over medium heat; stir for another two minutes until thickened further. Remove from heat again and stir in lemon zest, juice and butter or margarine until completely incorporated.
- To make the meringue topping, beat egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until foamy; add sugar one tablespoon at a time while continuing to beat until soft peaks form (the whites should hold their shape but still be soft). Finally, add cream of tartar with the last tablespoon of sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form (the whites should hold their shape without drooping). Set aside while you prepare your pie crust.
- Prepare the crust using vanilla cake premix according to the instructions given on the box. Pour cooled filling into the crust and spread it evenly using a spoon or spatula. Top with spoonfuls of meringue topping and spread gently with a spatula so it covers the entire surface filling right up to the edges of the crust all around the side.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Cool completely before slicing and serving! Enjoy!
- To top it off, if desired you can use chocolate ganache or whipped cream on your pie to make it extra delicious for your palate.
If you liked this content, we have just the type of thing for you to binge-read about. Recipes ranging from cake pop and custard pudding to Christmas fruit cake and many more are curated specially for you - those who don’t just love to bake but live to bake!